Skip the Lines on Black Friday Throw a Leftovers Block Party Instead
Black Friday: it’s the biggest shopping day of the year. For those who prefer to avoid the crowds, however, there are other options. If you want to skip the lines this Black Friday, consider throwing a leftovers block party instead. You’ll get to enjoy time with friends and neighbors, avoid the crowds at your favorite stores, and clean out some of those leftovers in your fridge all at the same time.
How It Works
A leftovers block party is exactly what it sounds like: a block party complete with all those yummy Thanksgiving leftovers. Many people significantly overdo the cooking when they’re preparing for holiday meals, and in many cases, even your favorite dishes end up cluttering up the fridge long after the holiday has passed. Your leftovers block party allows you to pull out all of those dishes and share them with your neighbors–and invite them to bring theirs along, too.
What You Need
The first thing you need for a leftovers block party is your neighbors–and their leftovers! Put together a signup sheet before the holiday. You might consider having someone fix the main dish, like a ham or a turkey, that will feed everyone even if the casseroles fall a little short. Then, you’ll need:
- A tent or canopy to help keep everyone out of the weather.
- Tables for the neighborhood members and to spread out all of the food!
- Outdoor heaters to help keep everyone warm and toasty, especially if cold weather is expected for the weekend.
- Plenty of flatware, dishes, and glasses for everyone in the neighborhood. Sure, you could go with paper plates and plastic flatware, but for a formal holiday, why not go a little fancier?
- Games and activities for neighborhood guests, especially if you have a lot of kids in the neighborhood.
Neighborhood block parties are always plenty of fun–and it’s even more fun when you’re able to come together and clean out your fridge at the same time. If you need party rental equipment to help make your block party a reality, contact us! We’ll work with you to put together a great event that everyone will eagerly look forward to attending in future years, too.